Can you believe that dogs have been with us for more than 14,000 years? Dogs are incredible animals and hold the title of being a man’s best friend. They offer great companionship and are a source of ultimate joy and comfort.
If you are a puppy lover, you already know they bring so much pleasure into our lives. Dogs are adorable and loving creatures and can bring a smile to our faces. They make us laugh, give us unconditional love, and are always there for us in all circumstances. They even have a positive impact on our physical and emotional wellbeing.
National Dog Day is celebrated August 26th annually and was founded in 2004.
History Of National Dog Day
National Dog Day was created in 2004 by Colleen Paige, a Pet & Family Lifestyle Expert and Animal Advocate. She created this day so that all dogs can be celebrated. Also, to draw attention to shelters dogs and to encourage adoption to those who have yet to find a place to call home. August 26 is significant to Colleen because it is the day her family adopted her Sheltie when she was 10 years old.
National Dog Day is on an upward trajectory and continues to grow in popularity. It is widely covered in the media each year and rescue homes are the all-important exposure they need to get their message across.
Why National Dog Day Was Created?
Dog Day has been created so that all breeds of dogs are celebrated; mixed and pure. This day was founded to bring attention to the plight of dogs around the globe and encourage adoption.
The day is meant to
- acknowledge dogs that need to be rescued
- recognize dogs that bring us comfort, protect us, and save lives
- discourage people from buying dogs from pet stores that support unethical backyard breeders and puppy mills
- encourage the adoption of dogs in need from local shelters or rescue centers
- rescue dogs from homelessness and abuse
The National Dog Day is all about paying tribute to dogs who work selflessly to bring comfort, keep us safe, and save lives. National Dog Day has also been using its platform to encourage dog ownership of all breeds, mixed and pure, and continuously pushes for all dogs to be allowed to live happy and abuse-free lives.
Dog Fun Facts For National Dog Day
Here are some amazing facts about dogs that will blow your mind.
- Dog's sense of smell is at least 40 times better than ours. This means that your furry companion can pick up on way more smells than we ever could.
- Dogs’ noses can sense heat/thermal radiation, which explains why blind or deaf dogs can still hunt. Some have such good noses they can sniff out medical problems.
- Puppies are born blind and deaf. Until they are able to hear and see, puppies rely on their sense of smell to find their mommy.
- Some dog breeds have incredible speed. A Greyhound is an outstanding runner and can keep a speed of 35mph for up to 7 miles. They can even beat a Cheetah in a long distance race.
- Many dog owners haven’t heard of this interesting dog fact, but dogs have three eyelids. The third lid, called the nictitating membrane is responsible for keeping the eye protected and lubricated.
- Dogs have about 1,700 taste buds whereas humans have between 2,000–10,000.
- Dogs actually have around 18 muscles responsible for moving their ears. These muscles help them to change the direction of their ears slightly to hear noises around them better.
- The oldest known dog breed is most likely the Saluki - originally trained by Egyptians to help them track game.
- The tallest dog in the world is a Great Dane.
- Chihuahuas are the smallest dog breed in the world.
Ways to Celebrate National Dog Day For Puppy Lovers
Ready for National Dog Day? Here are 6 ways to celebrate National Dog Day for puppy lovers:
- Have a National Dog Day party and invite all your friends and their dogs! Make the party fun for both the dogs and human guests by coming up with a great doggie theme. Dogs are amazing creatures and are pretty easy to please. Just make sure they have some fun activities planned to keep them entertained and out of trouble.
- Buy your dog a fun new dog toy: If you’re pressed for time, a new toy or two can be a great way to show your puppy that you love them. But while the toy will be fun, if you can spare a few minutes to play with the toy with them, that will really make the day awesome.
- Go for a swim: Many dogs love nothing more than a good splash in a pool, ocean, lake, or even a mud puddle. You can celebrate National Dog Day by taking your furry friend to their favorite watering hole and get as wet and dirty as they like. Some pools even offer special “dog swim days” at the end of summer, after it’s closed to people but before it’s drained.
- Teach your puppy a new trick: No matter how old your puppy is, it’s never too late to learn something new. Puppies can learn new tricks so take this opportunity to teach your buddy a new skill. Engaging your puppy in mentally stimulating activities can help prevent diseases and adds to a long and healthy life.
- Hire a professional pet photographer for a fun photo shoot: Your puppy might already have an active social life and a close connection. So why not showcase your puppy to the world, by having professional photos made of you and your puppy?
- Adopt or foster a dog: There are thousands of amazing dogs that need homes. Many dogs in shelters need a forever home otherwise they will have to be euthanized if they don’t find a home. So, one of the best things you can do on National Dog Day is to consider adopting or fostering some of these needy animals.
Personalized Gift For Puppy Lovers
Read on for fun, stylish, and creative gifts for all the puppy lovers on National Dog Day.
- Personalized shirt:
Puppy lovers enjoy showing off their love for pets, and like wearing stylish shirts. So, why not combine these two great loves on National Dog Day? A custom-made shirt is very adorable gift.
Personalized shirts are an ideal and unique gift for National Dog Day. A personalized shirt is a beautiful addition to any wardrobe that shows off the love of the puppy. We are sure your puppy lover friend will be amazed!
A personalized tumbler is a thoughtful and practical gift for puppy lovers on National Dog Day. They can enjoy a glass of wine in the evening cuddled up to their puppy.
A personalized tumbler is one of those gifts that’ll keep the puppy lover smiling even at the most boring part of the day. It is a perfect way to show your puppy lover friend how much you value their pet! Your friend will smile every time they drink something in the personalized tumbler!
Puppy lovers will love seeing their puppy portrayed in custom masterpieces. Add a little color and create some timeless memories by fun-loving custom pet portraits. express your love and affection with your puppy in a creative way.
Your puppy lover friend can hang it in their home for years to come. Besides decorating your wall, you can also use matte canvas to accessorize a table or even a shelf. It is the perfect way to show your friend or family member how much you value their puppy!
Whether you choose to celebrate by volunteering at a rescue home, making a donation to a shelter, by giving gifts to puppy lovers, or by giving your furry friend an extra big cuddle, make sure you spend this day acknowledging just how awesome dogs are.
Remember, when you bring home a puppy, you are committing to a long-term relationship. Your puppy's love is unconditional, without judgement or pressure. Once they love us, it’s going to be forever.
Puppies are like kids and are heavily reliant on our care as owners! As a responsible puppy parent, you must ensure that your fur buddy receives daily walks, regular grooming, a healthy diet, and a comfy place to live.
Happy National Dog Day!